||Musser Forests was established in 1928 when the company
purchased 600 acres of abandoned farm land in Indiana County. This land was planted in Pine and Spruce seedlings, part of which was sold as
Christmas trees, the remainder to grow into a timber crop.
At that time the majority of the Christmas trees in this country were Spruce and Fir shipped from Canada and Western United States.
However, extensive radio and newspaper advertising by Musser Forests successfully introduced Scotch Pine for use as a Christmas Tree.
As buyers became more and more enthusiastic about the good color and needle retention of Scotch Pine, and orders increased, Musser Forests
decided to develop a nursery to raise evergreen seedlings for its own use.
||In 1938 the nursery operation was started. Sixty seed beds and a single price sheet was sent out to
Christmas Tree growers. About ten local men were employed in the nursery.
In the next fifteen years, more varieties of evergreens were planted, a second seedling nursery was developed and the single price sheet had become
a 24 page mail order catalog.
In 1953, the company moved to its present location 6 miles north of Indiana, Pa on U.S. Route 119. The nursery was established and the main
headquarters were built, including offices, a packing building, greenhouses and a thirty acre lake for irrigation.
In the past 60 plus years, Musser Forests has continued to expand the varieties of plants that it grows. We continue to strive to produce the finest
plant material available.